* Choosing not to oppose the inevitable might seem like wisdom to some, except that, when it comes to the human condition, nothing is ever inevitable, that is, not until it’s there staring back at you and you can reach out and touch it.
* In the longer run, there is more risk to surrendering to what seems inevitable than in opposing it.
* In life, it’s the lack of intellectual not emotional empathy that troubles me the most. Our inability to feel interconnectedness is not as dangerous as our inability to see it and reason out its implications.
* Fate is blind. Seeing is our job.
* The challenge confronting serious academics is to explain how we continue to stumble upward and forward without the guidance of a hidden hand, be it God’s or some secret cabal’s.